The Powysland Bookshop
Orders to: The Librarian, Triangle House, Brook Street, Welshpool, SY21 7PG.
Prices as at December 2021.
Cheques to be made payable to The Powysland Club. Please note that prices do not include postage unless otherwise stated.
Medieval Powys:Kingdom,Principality and Lordships, 1132-1293: Written by Dr David Stephenson this book provides the first full, authoritative history of Powys in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It argues in particular that the Powysian rulers were dogged and resourceful survivors in the face of pressure from Welsh rivals and the problems of internal fragmentation; and that, paradoxically, co-operation with the English and intermarriage with marcher families underlay a desire to regain lands to the east lost in earlier centuries. Available from all good booksellers.
Welshpool Past and Present: A new and fully revised version of ‘The Changing Face of Welshpool’ by John Payne, Colin Rogers, Colin Stratford and Michael Wynne Griffith (Powysland Club, 2016). With extended coverage, new photographs and new historical research. Price: £12.00 (plus UK postage). Enquiries to The Librarian, Triangle House, Brook St., Welshpool, SY21 9PZ or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concrete across Clywedog: The history of a valley within the Severn basin by Brian Poole. This is a book about the construction of the Clywedog dam in Montgomeryshire using detailed local accounts of those who worked on the project. With numerous illustrations and colour photographs. Published by the Powysland Club, May 2014. Price: £21.00 (plus UK postage). Now out of stock.
Montgomeryshire Past and Present from the Air by Chris Musson. This is a book about the history, archaeology and landscapes of Montgomeryshire as seen from the air, published by the Powysland Club and the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust in collaboration with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Remains of Wales. Published 29th October 2011. Price: £12.95 (£15.80 including UK postage).
Copies can also be collected at Powysland Club meetings or from the Powysland Club Library, Triangle House, Brook Street, Welshpool, Powys, which is normally open on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 12 noon.
Other Books available
- MONTGOMERYSHIRE COURT OF GREAT SESSIONS: GAOL FILES 1571-1580 transcribed and edited by M. Ll. Chapman (2008 ). Price on request.
- ENROLMENT OF EXCHEQUER PLEAS RELATING TO MONTGOMERYSHIRE AND ITS BORDERS compiled by J.W.Davies, edited by M.Ll.Chapman (2006). £20 + p & p.
- A WELSH COUNTRYSIDE REVISITED edited by W.J.Britnell (2003) (a sequel to the well-known study ‘Life in a Welsh Countryside’ by Alwyn D.Rees). Reduced to £5 + p & p (£1.50 in the UK).
- TRANSPORTATION BY MONTGOMERYSHIRE COURTS 1788-1868 (for the most part to Australia) by Brian Owen (2003). Includes details of hundreds of individuals transported. Sales to non-members: Reduced to £15 + p & p.
- THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF MONTGOMERYSHIRE (C.J.Arnold) £3.00 + p & p.
- THE PHOTOGRAPHER IN RURAL WALES (W.T.R Pryce) – NOW SOLD OUT.
- MONTGOMERYSHIRE PLEADINGS IN THE COURT OF CHANCERY 1558 -1714 (J.W.Davies) £6.00 + p & p.
- A HISTORY OF NEWTOWN, 2ND IMPRESSION WITH CORRIGENDA AND NEW BIBLIOGRAHY (M.Richards) £10 00.
Volumes from vol 63 available. Please ask for prices.
- Humfrey Bleaze Map of Powis Castle & Welshpool 1629. Price £3.00.
- Map of Montgomeryshire and Western Shropshire Showing Townships, 1991. Price £5.00. AWAITING NEW SUPPLIES.